Sunday, June 26, 2011

Where am I? Eivissa, better known as Ibiza


I know I haven’t been the best in keeping this blog up-to-date.  I’m trying to make an effort to detach myself from the web and spend more time reading or writing in my journal instead.  I have to tell you, it feels quite liberating to be digitally disconnected. It’s like a mental detox.  I think this is a practice everyone should do once a week… unplug yourself for a whole day (or if at the very least, a few hours) from your computer, blackberries, iphones, etc.  You won’t miss a thing.

So where am I anyhow?  I am in beautiful, majestic Ibiza.  It’s a little hard to believe that I’m actually here.  And surprisingly enough, airfare was rather affordable coming from Barcelona.  I have also been fortunate enough to know a friend who willingly welcomed me to visit.  Love and thanks, beautiful Cassandra.

Ibiza has completely taken me by surprise.  It is not at all what I had imagined.  When I thought of Ibiza, I pictured beaches with crystal blue waters, gorgeous tanned men and women (clothing optional) abundantly strolling around town, clubs at every single street corner, villa and boat parties on the daily… pretty much a European version of Miami, if you will.  And granted, all of this is true but Ibiza is more than that and definitely a lot more than Miami.  Actually, it is far from Miami. The island is a lot more mountainous than I expected, densely covered with tall pine trees providing shade for hidden trails.   Beaches are a given but there are also very special spots with towering cliffs and hidden coves.  The climate is just perfect.  And it goes without saying that it is very much a party island but it is at the same time so very peaceful and serene. There are so many magical places here on the island.

One of these magical places Cassandra took me to is Es Vedra.  There are many myths and urban legends about this mysterious rock formation but it is most especially known for it’s “special magnetic energy.”  Standing at almost 400 meters tall with high concentrations of metals and minerals, this mystical rock is believed to be the third most magnetic spot on the globe.  And it really does have this mysterious magnetic pull.  There is this sudden energy that surrounds you the moment it’s in your presence and I felt it way before anything was mentioned to me.  I have never seen such a mesmerizing sunset with Es Vedra in sight.  This is truly a very special place on the island.  Purely magnetic.  Maybe this is why Ibiza, in general, is so full of energy and so captivating.  I'm taking it all in...




So on that note, I will be back with more updates and hopefully, I’ll get to upload all the photos I’ve taken from Paris and Barcelona. Be back soon…


No comments:

Post a Comment