Thursday, November 5, 2009

innovation, at its finest

When I see a product - whether it be clothes, shoes, jewelry, purses, graphics etc. - there are 3 things that come to mind instantly.

My first thought is - and perhaps most importantly - I want that!  Or, how and where can I buy that?!  It's a pretty natural thought process for me, actually, which isn't always a good thing.

Secondly, if it's an attractive and impressive piece of work, I think about the people, minds and the hands behind it and the process in which it was created.  The design, cut, fabrication, and the bits and pieces that complete it.  Which, then, leads me to think, why am I not the person behind this product, from conceptualization to creation? Or perhaps, how can I be a part of the innovative team that developed it?

But if the piece is eye-catching enough but is missing that "wow" factor, then I think, in what ways can it be improved?  The material could've been this instead of that, should the pockets have been placed an inch lower, maybe the zipper could've been a different color, or is it the buttons that throw it off and what about the color?  What further details can be added and what else does it lack?  Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sound superior, as if I know all the right ingredients to a flawless merchandise.  As someone who has gone through the process of developing a product, these are just some of the thoughts that go through my head.  And after all, I am a consumer and if the store is trying to push a sell on this item, then I have to feel confident on why I'm making that purchase.  And then again, there are just those moments when the two latter thoughts just doesn't even come to mind and I stop right at point 1.  Impulse buys... yes, guilty!

So which leads me to this incredible find and what should be a completely different post by itself...

Fittingly enough, I came across Artoo's blog on Hypebeast and found his post on dekkori.  Talk about awesome... designer, Stephanie Kim, came up with the idea of customizing your standard pair of heels and basically transforming the whole look of your shoes by this added accessory!  You can instantly change your boring, black pair of heels into rock-star mode within seconds.  What a marvelous concept!  Designer and shoe fanatic Stephanie Kim hit the jackpot on this one.  So not only am I thinking about point two (and you can forget about my third point) but seriously, where can I go to buy some of these?!  Just my luck, anywhere but Denver....






:: images from dekkori via Artoo ::

....


2 comments:

  1. Hello Passonista!

    Love the post. I actually started my love affair with these a few years ago. These shoe accessories actually have an official name and if been around since the late 19th century!!! They are spats! Check the wiki definition here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spat_(footwear)

    Here is one of my favorite modern spat designers!
    http://www.possothespat.com

    They are the best! They add the perfect spice to a pair of heels and can even be work with a pair of sandals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info and link! I guess I should've assumed that this has already been around for ages... what with all the shoe fanatics in the world! I'll continue to look for more of these so-called spats.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete