Saturday, November 7, 2009

one woman's trash is another's treasure

My mother taught me the value of vintage shopping and thrifting.  She has a gift for finding one of a kind pieces; from vintage jewelry and brooches, purses, coats, even home furnishings and decor.  She would drag me from one thrift store to the next vintage shop when we used to live back East.  I still have fond memories of us hitting up shops in the Hamptons, Sag Harbor and Greenport, which were all fantastic areas to do that sort of thing.  I used to shy away from it, especially clothes, since the idea of using a stranger's clothing made me a bit uneasy.  But I slowly learned the art of thrifting and how to pick through the clutter and find something amazing.  Even items with their tags still attached.  I am, however, very selective when it comes to shoes and the few I have purchased have either been completely refurbished or never worn.  You have to be patient enough and possess that sharp eye for quality pieces and you will stumble on that needle-in-a-haystack find.  Apparently, my mom still has that gift since she recently scored me a pair of resoled Frye boots for $20, which originally retails for over $200.  Thanks, mom.



 


C, D and I spent a lovely weekend afternoon checking out vintage shops along Broadway.  Boss Vintage, Decade and All American Vogue were among our stops.  We weren't lucky with thrift finds however, we did luck out on shoes at Denver's favorite, True Love.  And then over to Pink's Boutique for some more shopping.   



 

 
:: this is what friendship is all about ::




 

 

 



:: record shopping @ Mutiny Now ::

 

 
:: a strapping, young George Michael ::


 

 

 
:: a clever album name, says Jermaine ::


 
... anytime now

 
:: whimsy finds @ Starlet ::








 





. . .



1 comment:

  1. Oh fun! I actually own that Gladys Knight and the Pips record - got it at a vintage record store. It's a goodie ;)

    ReplyDelete