Sunday, March 14, 2010

Eurotrip :: Rome . Part II: Colosseum, Palatine Hill, Roman Forum

Our excursion began at one of Rome's most popular tourist attraction - the Colosseum.  I could not believe that I was standing right in front of one of the greatest works in Roman architecture and engineering... this massive structure that once was used for gladiatorial games, animal hunts and executions.  The extent of my education on the Colosseum came from distant memories of history books and most recently, watching Russell Crowe's astounding movie performance in HD.  Only this was the real thing... and it was amazing.  I will  probably say that many times throughout the rest of my posts.

Our tour guide gave us a somewhat entertaining history crash course to shed some light on what actually happened inside these walls - a bloodbath. Thinking about that while we walked through the arena sent chills up my spine. Again, I kept picturing Russell Crowe's armor-clad body slaying animals in the center of this theater but what actually happened back in those days were probably much more gruesome.

The rest of our tour continued on to see the Palatine Hills, which legend claims, is the very place where "Rome" got its name.  This is also exactly the place where I inadvertently pulled a thigh muscle on the same leg I injured my ankle.  My pimp walk was in full effect at the end of the day and for the next couple of days, which by Italian standards, is totally not fashionable. But I digress... If you don't know the history and Roman mythology behind the Palatine Hills, wikipedia it.

After walking up many flights of steps through Palatine Hills, we ended up at the Roman Forums where we got a chance to walk around and through it.  I tried to keep track of each temple, arch and historical landmark but this place was so vast and there were so many that I'm sure there were some that I missed.

Below are some of my favorite images while the rest can be found here.  I will probably update this post as well as the album as I continue to go through all my photos.  So check back as I may add some more.



 : Arch of Constantine :












: Temple of Romulus :



  
: Temple of Julius Caesar :

2 comments:

  1. (I'm not really doing anything angela except nodding "yes" over and over again)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I wonder why would you be nodding yes over and over again...

    We must see each other while you're in town!

    ReplyDelete